Skip Navigation

Is Your Garage Pet-Safe?

Untidy, disorganized garages can be dangerous places for people. But even a neat and orderly garage can be a dangerous place for a pet.


Most people don’t keep their pets in the garage. But it’s not uncommon for a pet to spend some time in a garage – maybe just transiting through en route to the yard, or just keeping people company as they work or play in the garage.

If your pet ever spends any time in your garage, you can help keep your pet save by eliminating these dangers:

  • Antifreeze: Antifreeze is very tempting to both dogs and cats. It has a sweet flavor that pets are likely to savor. But it’s also deadly dangerous. Nearly 9 times out of 10, consuming just a tablespoon will quickly result in death for an average-sized dog.

So if you keep antifreeze in the garage, make sure that it’s kept completely out of the reach of pets. And when you’re putting antifreeze into your car, be alert for spills. Mop up any spills, no matter how trivial the amount. And toss some absorbent material such as sand or sawdust on the site of the spill to discourage your dog from licking up any residue.

  • Petroleum Products: Gasoline and motor oil aren’t quite as deadly as antifreeze, but can still do your pet great harm. Be sure to keep these fluids out of the reach of pets. And if any gas or oil spills on the floor, mop up and sprinkle an absorbent material on the site, just as you would for an antifreeze spill. Be alert, also, for oil that leaks from your car and drips onto your garage floor.
  • Battery Acid: Obviously enough, battery acid is also a danger. No, your pet won’t intentionally lap up battery acid. But if some acid ends up on your pet’s fur, it’s likely to cause problems when the animal grooms itself. Many pets have suffered severe injuries in this manner, ranging from internal injuries to partial tongue amputations.
  • Carbon Monoxide: You know better than to keep your car running in an enclosed garage. You know that the carbon monoxide build-up that results can be deadly. But did you know that dogs are far more sensitive to the effects of carbon monoxide than humans? In fact, just a small amount of carbon monoxide – an amount, for example, that might be generated just from pulling your car into the garage in the evening – can be hazerdous to your pet.

Under the Car is a No-No

Most of the items above are likely to be found in small quantities underneath most any car. After all, it’s difficult to ensure that nothing of hazard will ever drip from your car.

And most anything that does happen to drip from your car will likely be hazardous to your pet’s health. Even windshield washing fluid can be dangerous. That’s why it’s wise to teach your pet not to crawl under the car, even just for some exploratory sniffing.

This entry was posted on Wednesday, December 24th, 2014 at 9:49 pm. Both comments and pings are currently closed.

Find out the latest from Bob Carr